Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Reunited (and it feels so good!)


This is what happens when you're not good at updating your blog: stuff happens in between. In my case, I came home. I still need to write about Ecuador and Colombia, but for now, I'm home! I arrived in New York Monday afternoon, and have been reuniting with Brooklyn and my friends here for a couple of days before heading home to New Haven and Mom and Dad this afternoon.

People keep asking me how it feels to be back, and then are surprised at how enthusiastically positive my response is. The truth is, going abroad this year was the best decision I've ever made. It was such a blessing to be able to travel so extensively, to visit such beautiful places, to have the ability to relax, to learn, to follow my own interests and fancies without compromise or obstacle. But from the beginning, it was very much a finite experience. I set off with the idea of being gone for about a year, so psychologically, I've been prepared for my homecoming for a while. I did a pretty good job of being present for the experience until the end, but I can't travel forever, and as amazing as it was to be in South America, there's nothing like home.

I spent Sunday, my last day in South America, walking around the city by myself, and reflecting a bit on the year. I thought a lot about how the year went, things I'm happy about and what I hope to hold onto now that I'm back, but I'll save all that for a later post. For now, I'm psyched to be in the States, ready to see my parents again, and SO happy for Blue Sky Bakery muffins and iced coffee!

1 comment:

  1. Love you, so happy you had this experience. and so happy to have. you. back. xo

    ReplyDelete