Friday, October 16, 2009

Staying in the now.

My current schedule allows a lot of time for thinking. Which is good, of course, but as I tend, like many, to think too much, I´d like to spend some of that time not thinking. One thing I´ve found myself thinking about is the time that lies ahead of me, and how I might possibly spend it. Will I find a farm I like and stay there for a few months? Will I decide to travel around the country after another month, and hop from Bariloche in Patagonia to Mendoza or Salta in the Northwest? Should I look into plane tickets to travel to other countries in South America?

Last night, Gustavo, one of the non-H.K. (Hare Krishna) residents of the finca, showed Dagmar and I a video of a speech given by Eckhart Tolle in Barcelona. The speech was in Spanish, but he spoke slowly and clearly, as he is a non-native speaker as well. I haven´t read his books, The Power of Now and A New World Now (I think), but they´ve been very popular in the US and elsewhere (both Dagmar and Gustavo had read one or both). His philosophy incorporates aspects of different religions, but much of his speech focused on living in the present, a la Buddhist philosophy. He makes it sound very simple: the past and the future don´t really exist except for in our memories and our thoughts. The only life we have is right now, this moment, so we should not obsess so much over what´s to come, and rather live each moment as it comes.

I´ve come to town today to see if I´ve gotten responses from the farms I emailed the other day. I think I know now where I´ll be headed in a couple of weeks, but I´m going to try my best not to think too much about it, and to focus instead on getting the most out of every day at Eco Yoga Park. Wish me luck.

2 comments:

  1. I'm with you about the over-thinking, I would like to be able to turn off the constant stream of consciousness sometimes. Today I went down to the beach and just sat in the sun and watched people go by - sometimes by trying to focus my thoughts on what I am seeing and hearing at present makes it easier to keep from dwelling on the past or future (or if you're a complete ass like me - to keep you from dwelling on boys). Good luck and let me know how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a nice writing style, sarah. Very internal and reflective. Isn't it awesome to eff off to another country, not knowing anybody, and see where the winds take you? Just a feather in the breeze of spontaneity? You're going to have a great year.
    Colson ( yeah, that colson..)

    ReplyDelete