Saturday, October 31, 2009

Transitions


I´m back in Buenos Aires for a couple of days, and boy, is it a change of pace! It was sad to leave the Hare Krishna farm. I really couldn´t have asked for a better initial experience for my trip. I´m going to miss the people there a lot, but hopefully I´ll be able to carry over the sense of simplicity and mindfulness I learned while I was there.


Duke (a British volunteer who came a week or so before I left, and whom Maria nicknamed "Jaimito," because Duke is tricky to pronounce in Spanish) and I went to Maria´s again on Wednesday, and made some awesome empanadas, with a leek-tomato sauce-cheese filling.



I´ve been going back and forth with plans for my next move. Originally, I was going to hop on a bus this morning for El Bolson, to go to this cute little farm. Then I decided that I wanted to spend a week exploring Buenos Aires. But then I found out that the farm can only take me until the end of November, and after spending a day and a night in the city, I realized it´s not what I´m looking for right now. Going from 10:00 bedtime and 7:15 wake-up to 5:00am bedtime and 10:30 wake-up, living in a stuffy dorm with five other people after my luxe loft accomodations, etc. has been a bit of a shock. I´ve decided Buenos Aires can wait, so tomorrow I´m getting on a bus at 1:00 for 22 hours, and then another for 3 hours, and then another for 40 minutes :). Hopefully at the end of it I´ll find a cozy place to live for the next month!


I´ve added more photos and put captions on all of them, so check them out on the slideshow or, with captions, here. Plus, and even more exciting, I finally was able to upload a couple of videos I´ve taken. The first one is from the second night at Eco Yoga Park (I´m a little link-happy today!). It was Govinda´s 24th birthday (one of the "madres"). It´s hard to hear, but they´re singing "Hare Krishna" to the tune of "Happy Birthday." The second video is from a crazy thunderstorm one evening. The thunder was a constant rumble and the lightning flashed nearly constantly for over an hour. I can´t figure out how to imbed them in the post (if anyone knows, please share!) so here are the links. Hare Krishna Happy Birthday and Thunderstorm. Enjoy!
UPDATE: I just heard back from the owner of the farm in El Bolson and since I told her I wasn´t going to arrive until the 8th, she booked another volunteer for this week! So I´m staying in Bs. As. for the week after all! I guess I´ll have to adjust to urban living for a bit. ¡Qué locura!




3 comments:

  1. Hey! I couldn't comment on the photos...but that plant is an Australian native...a bottle brush. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Sarah!
    Thanks for the link to your blog. Sounds amazing where you are, enjoy the freedom. I remeber how long the days of my last trip were. You have inspired me. I am going to plant some heirloom garlic that Brandon's uncle sent us. Good luck at your next farm and happy halloween! --Gina Soileau

    ReplyDelete
  3. Last year I drove from Seattle down to San Fran with my friend Tamara and while the original plan was Seattle, Portland and then straight to San Fran we realized how not into cities we were that week and spent the whole time camping our way down the coast. It is amazing how different and impact urban and rural living can have on your body. Sometimes we need a rest.
    Good luck on your long bus trip! I hope all goes well and that the next farm proves to be as good as the one you just came from.
    FYI: On the right side of your video on the youtube page you can copy the "embed" link and put it right into your blog. Also, the link that shows us the cute little farm you are going to didn't open. I want to see it!

    ReplyDelete